Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Sheath Cake- YUM!

So recently I've been trying to move on from just cupcakes and venture more into other delicious baked goods. I got lazy one evening and attempted to find a recipe that called for ingredients I already had laying around because I didn't feel like running out to the store. Success! I found a recipe for Sheath Cake online (which I had never heard of before) and decided to give it a try. For those of you who, like myself, had never heard of this kind of cake, it's kind of a cake meets brownie type deal. Very yummy, and easy to make!
Here's the original recipe!

Sheath Cake

(Prep time- 20 min. Cook time- 20. min.)

Cake

2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1 c. water
3 1/2 Tbs. cocoa
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. butter
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs

Icing

1/2 c. butter
3 1/2 Tbs. cocoa
3 Tbs. milk
2 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:

1.) For cake- mix flour and sugar together in a large mixing bowl
2.) In saucepan, mix water, cocoa, salt, and butter
3.) Bring to a boil
4.) Pour over flour and sugar
5.) Add buttermilk, baking soda, eggs, and vanilla
6.) Mix until blended
7.) Pour into large greased cookie sheet
8.) Bake for 20 min. in oven at 375 degrees
9.) For icing- while cake is baking, bring butter, cocoa, and milk to a boil in a small saucepan
10.) Remove from heat, add sugar and vanilla
11.) Apply the icing to the cake as soon as it's out of the oven


Hope you enjoy! Have you ever heard of/made a sheath cake before? It turned out well for me, except I was using my cheap dollar store cookie sheets. They're incredibly flimsy and warped, so one of my cakes turned out a little funky. The batter had drifted to one corner and the opposite corner ended up being very thin, and thus, burned. *Sigh*. Time for new cookie sheets!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment