Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Finally, Chocolate Torte!

So I before finding this recipe online, I had never even heard of a 'torte' before. Can you tell I'm a newbie? Anyway, the chocolaty goodness called to me and I knew I had to at least give it a shot. Now this was a bit of a harder recipe for me, I haven't separated eggs since I was in middle school! *gulp.* Fortunately, the recipe came with a step-by-step video which I found VERY helpful. Next time I won't need it of course, but it was great to have since I have never attempted a torte before. Here is the original link with the video!  http://www.joyofbaking.com/ChocolateTorte.html


You can check out the ingredients on the original website, (sorry- feeling lazy again. I really need to stop baking so late at night!) but I will go through the directions with some pictures!


Directions

1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2.) Spray or butter a 9'x3' springform pan, and line the bottom with parchment paper

3.) Separate the eggs while still cold, cover each of the bowls with plastic wrap, and bring to room temp.
4.) Meanwhile, melt chocolate with butter in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water

5.) Beat egg yolks and 1/2 c. sugar together at medium speed until thick and lemon-colored (3-5 min)

6.) Add vanilla and chocolate mixture
7.) In another bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy.

8.) Add the cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form.9
9.) Gradually add the remaining 1/2 c. sugar to the egg whites until stiff peaks begin to form. Using small amounts at a time, fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Do not over mix.

10.) Pour batter into pan, and bake for 50-60 min. or until toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs
11.) Place on wire rack to cool


Yum!!!!!!

Enjoy! And thanks for reading :)

2 comments:

  1. Looks great!! Did you save a piece for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psh... I wish! I was stupid enough to take in the whole thing to work thinking I would bring whatever was left home.... there was not a crumb left. Good thing Jeremy and I each had a piece last night!!

    ReplyDelete